Throughout our 60+ year history, Catholic Charities Atlanta has served the poor and vulnerable on behalf of the Atlanta Catholic community. Although the services provided have changed and evolved, the core mission of offering a helping hand to those in need, regardless of a client’s background or religion, has remained the same.
Catholic Charities Atlanta traces its beginning back to 1947 when a Catholic social service program was organized under the direction of the late Monsignor Cornelius Maloney. From 1948 to 1953 the agency was operated as a volunteer organization with two trained and dedicated social workers serving in their spare time.
MsgrMaloney The organization continued to operate solely on a volunteer basis until July of 1953 when it incorporated as Catholic Social Services of Metropolitan Atlanta, beginning a sixty year journey of care and service.
At our inception, the then Catholic Social Services functioned very differently than Catholic Charities Atlanta does today, operating only as a central referral agency, referring those applying for assistance to the appropriate social service agency that could best serve their needs.
In 1955 those involved with and working at Catholic Social Services saw a clear need for the agency to offer services on a much larger scale. The organization was classified as a Family and Child Care Agency granting it casework status, more closely resembling the Catholic Charities Atlanta of today.